Electrical Permits

When is an electrical permit required?

  • Any alteration to existing electrical wiring or any new wiring.
  • Temporary electrical installations.
  • Replacement or any alteration to a service or branch circuit panel.
  • Prior to re-energizing a service panel, even if no change is made to the panel.

Can I do my own electrical work?

  • Only within a single family dwelling or accessory building, within your own premises.
  • If you do not intend to live in the dwelling, the work must be done by a licensed contractor.
  • Any structure that is for sale, lease or rent will require a licensed contractor.
  • Electric wiring within any commercial or industrial occupancy or structure must be done by a licensed contractor.

Who purchases the permit?

  • If you are doing the work in your single family dwelling or accessory building, you or a family member must apply for the electrical permit.
  • If an electrical contractor is doing the work, that contractor is required to apply for the permit.

What are the permit fees?

Electrical permit fees are listed on the electrical permit application form.

When is an electrical  plan review required?

Plan reviews are required as listed in OAR 918-311-0040. http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/rules/OARS_900/OAR_918/918_311.html Contact the Electrical Inspector with questions on electrical plan reviews.

When are inspections required and how do I get them?

  • Call 541-298-4461 for inspections.
  • Inspections are required prior to concealing any electrical wiring.
  • Prior to back-filling ditches.
  • Service panels prior to energizing.
  • After the work is completed and fixtures are in place.