General Permits

When are permits required?

Generally, a permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system.  If you are not sure if you need a permit, see the specific types of permits and feel free to call our office with questions.

Where and how do I obtain a permit?

Call or visit our office at 541-298-4461, 1113 Kelly Ave, The Dalles 97058
Fax permit application to 541-298-2667.  Office staff will contact you for payment information.

Where can I find permit forms and fees?

Forms and fees are available on this website.

When do permits expire?

Permits will expire if the work is not started or an inspection is not requested within 365 days of obtaining the permit or if no inspection is requested within 365 days of the previous inspection.  Additionally, the permit is valid for a maximum three years from the date of issuance

How do I maintain the permit as active?

  • Call for inspections at intervals not exceeding 365 days.
  • If inspections will exceed 365 days, request a one-time-only extension, allowing an additional 365 days.  The request for extension must be received by our office prior to the permit expiration.
  • All permits will expire and must be renewed if the work exceeds three years from the date of issuance.

How do I re-new the permit or obtain an inspection if the permit has been expired?

  • Contact our office to determine the requirements for renewing an expired permit.
  • Typically, structural permits may be renewed with fees based on ½ the project valuation or $65.00/hour if only a final inspection is required.
  • Other permits may typically be re-newed by paying a minimum permit fee or $65.00/hour if only a final inspection is required.
  • If the permit has been expired in excess of two years, it may not be re-newed and no further inspections will be made.
  • The complete permit expiration and refund policy is available on this website under Policies and Procedures.