Manufactured Homes

When is a manufactured home permit required?

  • Installation or setup of any new or used manufactured home.
  • Relocation to a different location, even on the same property.

What are the manufactured home permit fees?

See the manufactured home permit form

What information will I need to get a permit?

  • The address of the property.
  • Zoning and sanitation approval.
  • The owner’s name, address and phone number.
  • If a contractor is doing the work, the contractor’s name, address, phone number and State Construction Contractor’s Board number.

Where do I get zoning approval?

  • Zoning approval will come from the City or County where the structure is being constructed. For instance, if inside the City of The Dalles – contact the City Planning Department.
  • Other cities may not have a planning department, call City Hall.
  • Outside an incorporated city, call the local County Courthouse.
    See helpful links.

Where do I get sanitation approval?

  • If the project is on a public sanitation system, see helpful links.
  • If the project is on a private system (septic system), and in Wasco or Sherman Counties, call the Wasco County Health Dept, 541-506-2600. If in Wheeler County, call DEQ in Bend, 541-388-6146.  If in Gilliam County, call DEQ in Pendleton, 541-276-4063.

Who obtains the permit?

  • The owner can hire a contractor registered by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board and registered as a manufactured home installer or can get the permit and do the work yourself.
  • If a contractor does the work, either the owner or the contractor can obtain the permit. We suggest you request your contractor apply for the permit since the one obtaining the permit is the one responsible to see that inspections are requested and the work is done correctly.

How long does it take to get a permit?

Normally, the permit is issued over the counter if all information is provided.

When are fees paid?

Permit fees need to be paid when applying for the permit..

What inspections are required and how do I get them?

  • Call 541-298-4461 for inspections. See inspections for further information.
  • Site inspection, normally will be done in conjunction with the runner inspection prior to placing concrete.
  • Setup inspection, before the skirting is in place.
  • Final inspection, after all work is completed, steps and porches are in place and the site graded per code.

Permits for garages, ramadas (separate roof over home) & cabanas (room addition)

  • A separate structural permit (E-c) is required for site-built garages, armadas, cabanas or other site-built structures.
  • All structures must be structurally independent of the home and must comply with the Oregon Residential Code.
  • Ramadas are required specific clearances above and to the sides of manufactured homes, as well as compliance with the Oregon Residential Code and other issues specified in the Manufactured Home Specialty Code.