The Oregon Workforce Investment Board approved the creation of a Central Oregon Local Workforce Investment Area. This new local area will include: Hood River, Wasco, Sherman, Gilliam, Wheeler, Deschutes, Crook, Jefferson, Klamath, and Lake Counties. MCCOG is currently part of the Oregon Consortium Local Workforce Investment Area (TOCOWA) which represents 24 rural Oregon Counties. The move splits TOCOWA into 4 separate local workforce areas. The new Local Workforce Investment Board will begin to oversee workforce activities in our area starting July 1, 2015.
President Obama signed the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) in July. The passage of WIOA provides new authorizing legislation for programs that had been authorized under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA). It has been 16 years since WIA was initially passed, and 11 since it was due to be reauthorized. The new law begins July 1, 2015 and focuses more on training and skill development. http://www.doleta.gov/WIOA/
CAP Moves In
Mid-Columbia Community Action Program moved into the Gorge Career Center at 205 Wasco Loop in Hood River on October 1st.CAP provides energy assistance programs, housing assistance, food assistance, and AARP tax assistance. http://www.mccac.com/
Work Force Services Delivered
- We served 729 Adults and Dislocated Workers in our two offices.
- Our Youth program – served 26 – 17 were exited into employment, 8 obtained a degree or credential (HS diploma, GED) and 3 placed into an on the job work experience.
- Thanks to Back to Work Oregon funding from the State of Oregon, 12 clients were placed into on-the job training opportunities with local employers. 7 are still employed- three remain in an OJT.
- MCCOG staff taught more than 450 work readiness workshops in the past year. These include resume, interviewing, Career Information Systems, Social Media, and Dressing for Success.
- MCCOG staff also oversee 5 job clubs each week for DHS, Vocational Rehabilitation and Wasco County Community Corrections.
One of the many programs MCCOG workforce administers is the JOBS program for DHS. This is a job skills program for cash grant recipients. Last year we served 141 individuals through the JOBS program. 61 participated in a volunteer work experience… and 9 participated in a paid JOBS Plus work experience. 113 found a job.
Oregon Food Stamp Employment Program (OFSET)
OFSET is a job search program for people receiving SNAP benefits- or food stamps. We provide job search assistance and support services, including gas money and interview clothing. 400+ received these services last year.
National Career Readiness Certificate / Certified Work Ready Communities
- Together with our partners at the Oregon Employment Department we recruited and proctored close to 500 National Career Readiness Certificate Assessments and obtained close to 50 letters of support from local businesses. The National Career Readiness Certificate measures a job applicants abilities in 3 areas: math, locating information, and reading. Oregon Counties can achieve Certified Work Ready Community designation based on the number of certificate earned and the number of employers participating. http://workreadycommunities.org/OR
- Starting last spring the NCRC started counting towards the math and reading benchmark for the Oregon High School Diploma. MCCOG and the Oregon Employment Department are working together to get the NCRC in all of our local high schools. Last year testing occurred in: The Dalles High School. Hood River Valley High School, and Dufur High School.
- 11 young people in our area in danger of not passing were able to graduate this spring as a result of NCRC attainment. We expect that number will increase significantly in the future.